I am a member of Goodreads which has a list of book club reads. One of my reviewers suggested my novella Autumn Burning is a good choice for a book club. It has been called a ‘literary mystery novel’ and has several points of view, and is set in Thailand. I aim to publish it on Goodreads.
At present the self-publishing company, Lulu, is addressing a problem. Each time I upload, the legend ‘irrecoverable error’ pops up. It is the weekend, so I am waiting for a response to my query. How dare they not work on weekends! As soon as it is resolved, I hope to become a Goodreads author, and that my book will be read by a book club.
Some books I read have a list of questions at the end for book clubs. I did not do that but I am listing potential questions here. What do you think?
Ten Potential Book Club Questions
- What was your initial reaction to the book? Did it hook you immediately, or take some time to get into?
- Do you think the story was plot based, or character driven?
- What was your favourite quote or passage?
- Was the setting important, or could the story have taken place anywhere?
- How did the characters change in the story? How did your opinion of them change?
- How did the different points of view affect the story?
- What character did you relate to most, and what about them did you connect with?
- How did you feel about the ending?
- Did the book change your opinion or perspective of anything?
- If the book was a movie adaptation, who would you want to see to play the parts?
The last question is a fun one. As a reader, my imagination is engaged, and I have my own images of the characters. But how does my view differ from or agree with other book club readers? It should generate a lot of laughter and maybe some friendly argument.
Do you have other questions for a book club?